No Additional Information
Peridox Capsule contains Doxycycline as an active ingredient. It belongs to a group of medicines called tetracycline antibiotics. Doxycycline inhibits protein synthesis and, thus, bacterial growth by binding to 30S and possibly 50S ribosomal subunits of susceptible bacteria; may block dissociation of peptidyl t-RNA from ribosomes, causing RNA-dependent protein synthesis to arrest. It may be used to treat a wide range of infections caused by bacteria, these include:
• Chest, lung or nasal infections e.g. bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis
• Infections of the kidneys and bladder e.g. cystitis, urethritis
• Infections of the skin such as acne
• Eye infections
• Sexually transmitted diseases e.g. gonorrhoea, syphilis, chlamydia
• Rickettsial infections such as Q fever or fevers associated with louse or tick bites
• Malaria, when chloroquine is not effective
• Other infections such as cholera, brucellosis, leptospirosis and psittacosis Doxycycline capsules are also used to prevent certain infections developing such as scrub typhus, traveller’s diarrhoea, malaria and leptospirosis (a bacterial infection caused by exposure to bacteria in fresh water contaminated by animal urine)
Peridox may be used to treat a wide range of infections caused by bacteria, these include:
• respiratory tract infections
• urinary tract infections
• sexually transmitted diseases
• skin infections such as acne
• infections of the eye
• rickettsial infections such as Q fever or tick fever
• other infections such as malaria, cholera, brucellosis, leptospirosis, psittacosis and fevers caused by lice or ticks.
or prevent: • travellers diarrhoea, scrub typhus and leptospirosis.
Direction to Use
Swallow the capsules whole with a full glass of water, if the capsules irritate your stomach take them with food or milk. You should take the capsules either sitting down or standing up and well before you go to bed for the night to stop irritation and ulceration of your gullet. It is important not to lie down for at least thirty minutes after taking the capsules.
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you forget to take a dose take it as soon as you remember it and then take the next dose at the right time.
If you take Peridox to prevent malaria: Start taking the medicine 1 or 2 days before entering an area where malaria is common. Continue taking the medicine every day during your stay and for at least 4 weeks after you leave the area. Use protective clothing, insect repellents, and mosquito netting around your bed to further prevent mosquito bites that could cause malaria.
Common side effects may include:
nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, loss of appetite;
skin rash or itching; or
vaginal itching or discharge.